How to make search results more useful
The following settings will typically improve the usefulness of search results.
Settings that do not cost in performance:
- Forbid All Cap Descriptions = 1
- Forbid All Cap Titles = 1
- Hits Per Page = 10 or more
Settings that involve a tradeoff in performance:
- Multiplier: Keyword = 10
- Multiplier: Description = 10
- Multiplier: Title = 10
- Show Examples: Enable = 1
- Show Examples: Number to Display = 3
- Ignore Words = minimal list
- Max Characters: Auto Description = 150 to 300
- Max Characters: Description = 384 or more
Of course, rebuilding the indexes regularly will result in the most up-to-date result set and a minimum of 404 errors for the end user.
Viewing the Usage Statistics will give you a good idea of what users are looking for and whether they're finding it.
"How to make search results more useful" http://www.xav.com/scripts/search/help/1033.html